[ltp] using an external monitor with t61 (nvidia)

mstralka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:31:31 -0800 (PST)

S=C3=A9bastien Mazy wrote:
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> I have a r61 with a Quadro 140M and 1680x1050 LCD.  If you use the nvidia
> proprietary driver, you can use the GUI nvidia-settings to setup the
> second
> monitor as a "separate screen" right or left of the primary screen. If yo=
> tick the xinerama option, then you'll have your main screen unchanged,
> while
> the second monitor will show a "clean" area with only your wallpaper (no
> panels, no icons). You will then be able to :
>=20

Are you using TwinView or Separate X Screen?  I have the T61 6459-CTO (LCD
1680x1050)and have a Samsung 226cw external LCD (with 1680x1050).  I have
already upgraded my BIOS to 1.26 this morning, and I am using the nvidia
driver.  I used nvidia-settings to set it up with TwinView as a clone of my
LCD.  If I set the resolution of the Samsung to 1280x1024, it works fine,
but with scrolling. =20

If I try to set the resolution to 1680x1050, as soon as I restart X, the
Ubuntu login box comes up but the entire computer locks up and I have to do
a hard-restart.  Any idea why the nvidia driver can't output to an external
monitor at its native resolution?

I can't find anything in any logs indicating what is happening.  Here is th=
relevant section of my xorg.conf file
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "IBM"
    HorizSync       53.2 - 63.9
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 60.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "Quadro NVS 140M"
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "NvAGP" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    #CUSTOM options from
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.23/README/chapter-13=
.html
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option=09   "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
    #WORKS FINE BUT SCROLLS ON SAMSUNG
    #Option=09   "metamodes" "DFP-0:1680x1050_60@1680x1050+0+0,
CRT-0:1280x1024_60@1680x1050+0+0"

    #FREEZES COMPUTER
    #Option=09   "metamodes" "CRT-0:1400x1050_60@1680x1050+0+0,
DFP-0:1680x1050_60@1680x1050+0+0"

EndSection

--=20
or-with-t61-%28nvidia%29-tf4765937.html#a13637554
Sent from the Linux Thinkpad mailing list archive at Nabble.com.