[ltp] Lenov notebook ACPI Configuration Recommendation ( very many questions )

fernanbolando linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:24:33 +0800

-----Original Message-----
From: "T Biehn" <tbiehn@gmail.com>
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 01:00:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [ltp] Lenov notebook ACPI Configuration Recommendation (
very many questions )

> Why not install linux to a USB key and then remove your HD
> all-together?
> Make sure HPET / Dynamic Ticks are enabled, and as a further
> suggestion custom compile a recent mm kernel (I'm running
> 2.6.23-rc8-mm2) as it has more hpet tweaks than mainstream.
> If you're really serious about the power, etc, and only want to use
> your laptop as a thin client, why not eliminate your current window
> manager and run a lightweight WM like dwm, ratpoision, ion (plugging
> tiling window managers here), or wm2.
Is the HPET/dynamic ticks processor specific? I only have a celeron M.
The laptop is not really a thin client. It's just that most of
the heavy stuff are done on the servers and I like getting a coffee break
during a compile. Although I have been using dwm for a very long time.

> For keeping power down use intel's powertop utility to find out what's
> keeping your processor out of sleep states.

I will check this out later.