[ltp] Booting T23 from USB stick

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 18:49:11 -0600

* Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> [2007 Nov 09 09:34 -0600]:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Has anyone booted a T23 from a USB stick?
>>
>> I googled for this, and there seemed some suggestions
>> that it was possible, but I couldn't work out if anyone had actually done it.
>>
>> My USB stick does not seem to be listed in the BIOS
>> as a boot option.
>> I have the latest BIOS (1.20) according to Lenovo;
>> I've also made all system updates that I can find.
>>

> Does the BIOS show the USB stick as a hard drive? (A regular HDD, not a
> USB-HDD). That used to work with my X22.
>
> Otherwise, you may be out of luck. If so, you could chainload the USB stick
> from Grub (on the regular HDD, or floppy or cdrom). Or, you could do a
> network boot.

I was able to boot my T23 from a USB attached hard drive that had come
out of a T42 I was using.  The kernel booted until it panicked, unable
to find the USB FS module, or something like that.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"