[ltp] Is Kubuntu Dapper Drake the end of the line for 600x?

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:01:01 -0800

I have been trying to install something newer on the Kubuntu continuum
than Dapper Drake on my 600x, and so far, no joy. All you get is a
blinking cursor at the top left corner of the screen when you try to
boot using a newer CD. Yes, I've tried all the "noapic nolapic acpi=off
apm" crap, it makes no difference.

Here's a bug report from Ubuntu's bug tracker describing in more detail
what is going on:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/
112569

The bug report has a workaround which is to install Dapper, do a few
dist-upgrades until you are at Gutsy level, but to continue to use the
2.6.15 kernel that came with Dapper. That couldn't be a good
workaround, could it? One can imagine the nightmares of having varying
versions of software with varying levels of compatibility.

I know this is an elderly machine, and that I should go find an ice
floe and push it out to sea to die like the gods say the old ones must.
However, it's still a solid machine. The most taxing thing the person
who will be using this machine will use it for is running Audacity to
digitize audio from his cassette Portastudio. He will also occasionally
use the Internet, so I want the machine up-to-date for that reason.

Anyone still running a 600x? Anyone got a modern kernel running on that
puppy?

Thanks,
Michelle