[ltp] Is Kubuntu Dapper Drake the end of the line for 600x?

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:47:09 -0800

On Nov 11, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Chris Schumann wrote:

> Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:
>> Anyone still running a 600x? Anyone got a modern kernel running on
>> that puppy?
>
> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my 600X last week, and Fedora 8 two days
> ago. Fedora works well, with issues. See the Fedora 8 on a 600X page
> on Thinkwiki.org for my notes. (Display corruption and sound doesn't
> work after resume.)
>
> I didn't use any kernel parameters when installing either distribution.

Did you use the alternative disk, then? I used the live CD and had my
issues with it.

I would rather stay with a Debian-esque distro than with an RPM-based
distro because of the superiority of apt for package management. It
just works better, that's all.

Thanks for the info. I'm seriously looking at straight Debian for this
machine, although my husband is now saying "You got Dapper to work,
it's got everything I need now that you installed Audacity for me, why
fix something that's no longer broke?" It might be all quite academic
considering his views on the matter.

Take care,
Michelle