[ltp] Re: Booting X30 with a USB stick

Daniel Maier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:01:03 +0100

--=-TmMXY5YOacz+wCYW5RAb

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 23:09 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Has anybbody managed to boot X30 from a USB drive (other than going
> >> through chain loading)?
>=20
> > I was only able to boot a X30 from USB using the F12-dialog.
>=20
> Great.  I can't even think of any other than F12, so that would be wonder=
ful.

See the BIOS for bootable devices. Your USB-Stick needs to be listed
there. It is not listed as USB-Device but as harddisk.

> > Partitiontype and bootable flag seem to be important.  What have you
> > tried so far?
>=20
> I have a USB key with Debian on it, partition 4 is a /boot ext3
> partition, marked bootable.  But the drive doesn't even appear in the
> F12 menu.

I think I managed only to boot from FAT32 partitions, again, the
USB-Stick needs to be listed as harddisk.

Regards, Daniel.

--=-TmMXY5YOacz+wCYW5RAb

--=-TmMXY5YOacz+wCYW5RAb--