[ltp] Intermittent wireless T61

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:07:17 -0800

I have a Thinkpad T61 with 4965AGN, about a month old, running Gutsy
amd64. The BIOS has been flashed to the latest (October 18, if I recall
correctly). Wireless works fine when it works. But the longest I've
ever had it work was about an hour. Usually after 20-30 minutes or so
it just stops working. Sometimes it still doesn't work even after
restarting the computer. It is acting as though there is an
intermittent physical connection to whatever component makes the
wireless work. Either that or the hotspot is pulling the plug - which
cannot be the case because this happens to me regardless of where I
connect. However, there is a thread on Ubuntu forums where lots of
people have trouble getting this wireless to work. Yet, in that thread,
once people get it working it seems to work 100% reliably. Because
there are other documented software troubles with this chip I am
hesitant to say it is a physical problem. Yet my symptoms are not the
same as what others are experiencing.

Has anyone else ever had the wireless just suddenly stop? Dare I hope
that there is a fix? Does anyone have any suggestions?