[ltp] VMware: Modify virtual machine BIOS...advice? Thinkpad and IBM Recovery CDs

briwood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:30:27 -0800 (PST)

I installed VMware and got to the point where I can Power On my virtual
machine.  I have a Thinkpad T40p that dual boots XP/Gutsy.  IBM did not
provide Windows XP CDs with this machine.  After a lot of whining I got them
to send me the 4 IBM Recovery CDs and waive the $50 fee.

I can get boot off the 1st CD, but I promptly get the message

[INDENT][B] Your bios is not compatible with this recovery cd[/B][/INDENT]

I've read that it's possible to modify the virtual machine's bios.  I am
wondering if there is any way to create a "snapshot" of my real BIOS and
then get the VM to use use the same settings.  If the VM BIOS contains the
"magic key", I should be able to install XP of the recovery CDs.

...or am I going to have to purchase XP? *shudder*

Thanks for any comments...

Brian