[ltp] Battery memory issue

David Bremner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:47:22 +0100

    John> battery. Today I tested it for the first time. After about
    John> three hours right-clicking on the battery icon in my gnome
    John> panel said I had about 1:15 left. About five minutes later I
    John> was suddenly staring at a black screen. No warning. And it
    John> would not restart. I reseated the battery, but it was
    John> totally dead. So my new 9-cell battery gives me about 3:05
    John> hours, roughly the same as the original 6-cell battery.

Hopefully someone with a T61 will chime with better advice; I have an
x61 and get roughly 6 hours (running debian unstable) from a nine
cell.

I don't know why your 9-cell is behaving strangely; new batteries
should be problem free as far as I understand it.

Did the little battery light (below the screen) go orange and blink
before the machine shut down? I think (although I'm no expert) that
this controlled at the hardware level, and should happen whatever
Ubuntu does.

Can you install powertop (should be in ubuntu repositories) and see
what it says? It might tell you about some power-killing services.

To eliminate the possibility of bugs in the gnome panel, can you run
"acpi" from the command line, and see if it reports the same time
remaining?

All the best,

David