[ltp] Battery memory issue

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:47:56 +0000

John Jason Jordan wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 06:52:28 +0000
>Ted Frater <ted.frater@virgin.net> dijo:
>

>>An excellent descriptive outline, but Id need a few more facts
>>You say your thinkpad is only a month old.
>>I presume its a month from new,
>>also the 6 cell battery is a genuine IBM.
>>Now, is the 9 cell also a genuine IBM?
>>or an aftermarket one?,
>>

>The original 6-cell battery is the one that came with the computer. The
>9-cell was purchased on eBay and came from China. However, it says
>"Lenovo" on it with the standard Lenovo logo. Lenovo is, after all, in
>China. None of that proves anything, unfortunately.
>

>>we have here an A21P, yes an old laptop but still a super one.
>>It had an IBM battery init that came to the end of its life.
>>this Thinkpad had the latest Bios on it.
>>I have a supplyof aftermarket batteries that are fine .
>>We put it into the Thinkpad and it wouldnt show it was being charged.
>>Running Ubuntu Gutsy.
>>Now I have the same thinkpad with thesame battery running Slackware 10
>>BUT with its original bios. from 2000.
>>We put the new baterry in my Thinkpad and it worked fine and showed
>>proper charging data.
>>So in our case the latest bios had some code to deliberately obscure the
>>aftermarket battery functions.
>>Wedowngraded the bios to the 1st version and it then worked fine
>>

>I do have a new BIOS. I had to update the BIOS in order to get the
>4965AGN wireless working. So if the problem with the battery is the new
>BIOS, I am stuck, as I cannot go back to the old BIOS.
>
>I know IBM is still working on the BIOS for this computer, as there are
>still problems with the wireless. Perhaps my battery problem will be
>resolved with a new BIOS later.

Ok, so the ist thing to do is to weigh the 2 batteries.
 The 9 cell should be  approx 1/3rd heavier.
 Let us know what the weights are. If there the same then youve probably
got a 6 cell with a 9 cell label on it.

The other way is to get the 2 batteries x rayed. tho it might screw uo
the battery electronics.
 thatssomething I wouldnt know about.

 A genuine IBM  would im sure be heavier and give you the battery life
you hope  for.