[ltp] VMware: Modify virtual machine BIOS...advice? Thinkpad and IBM Recovery CDs

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:51:18 -0600

briwood wrote:
> I installed VMware and got to the point where I can Power On my virtual
> machine.  I have a Thinkpad T40p that dual boots XP/Gutsy.  IBM did not
> provide Windows XP CDs with this machine.  After a lot of whining I got them
> to send me the 4 IBM Recovery CDs and waive the $50 fee.
>
> I can get boot off the 1st CD, but I promptly get the message
>
> [INDENT][B] Your bios is not compatible with this recovery cd[/B][/INDENT]
>
> I've read that it's possible to modify the virtual machine's bios.  I am
> wondering if there is any way to create a "snapshot" of my real BIOS and
> then get the VM to use use the same settings.  If the VM BIOS contains the
> "magic key", I should be able to install XP of the recovery CDs.
>
>  ...or am I going to have to purchase XP? *shudder*

You have already purchased one license, and that came with your machine.
It is specifically modified to only run on that machine. Doing anything
else with it is against the terms under which you bought it.

What you should do is either buy another copy for installing in your
virtual machine, or get an evaluation copy, which you can download from
Microsoft, or join one of their developer/technician programs that
allows you to use Windows on machines for testing or product development.

You might also try seeking help on a Windows forum, where people with
that kind of knowledge like to hang out.

Peace,
Chris