[ltp] Help Needed

Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:20:17 +0000

Dear David,

I think you're slightly confused about auto-running CDs.

 > Plainly even with the latest bios update on the A21E it does not
 > recognise USB devices to boot from. My LInspire CD will run
 > automatically from my USB CD on a Windows machine but not my Linux.

When you say "auto-run", do you mean

a)An operating system is already running. When you insert the CDROM, it
opens a file browser (eg konqueor, or internet explorer)

or

b)When you restart the machine, the BIOS will boot from the USB-CD device.

If (b), then it means that the BIOS on your A21e does not support
booting from the usb-cdrom.

If (a), then you should simply be able to mount the CD device manually.
(Run the dmesg command to see what's happening, and then use the mount
command).

--------

Am I correct in thinking that you just want to find some way to install
Ubuntu Linux on your (CD-ROM less) A21e?

If so, what resources do you have at your disposal? Do you have another
computer, running either Windows or Linux? If so, you could try doing a
network install. This should work - I used a similar method to install
on my X20.

http://hugi.to/blog/archive/2006/12/23/ubuntu-pxe-install-via-windows
http://wiki.koeln.ccc.de/index.php/Ubuntu_PXE_Install
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_on_ThinkPads_without_CD-ROM_drive

Alternatively, you could try to rescue your Linspire system. It's almost
certainly not as badly broken as you think.
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
followed by a reboot (or restart kdm/gdm) should solve your GUI problem.

Best wishes,

Richard