[ltp] VMware: Modify virtual machine -- Copying From a Real Install

Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:00:34 +0000

Ron Heiby wrote:
> I've been trying to copy my existing A21p Win2K Pro installation into a
> VMware virtual machine.

Unfortunately, you're doing the equivalent of changing every single bit
of hardware out from under Windows. All the VM hardware emulates very
standard stuff, but it will be totally different to what Windows expects
to see. Sadly, we've been spoiled with Linux, since Linux auto-detects
and configures stuff at runtime, so you (quite reasonably) expect Win2k
to do the same. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

My understanding is that it's very hard to do what you want, although
some people have had success by first uninstalling all the non-critical
hardware from within windows, and then setting the IDE and VGA drivers
to generic. If you have install disks, I recommend a fresh install as
less painful.

Incidentally, Qemu can boot the partition directly. It works fine with
Linux (I can even run my own system from within itself!) provided that
you use the -snapshot option (so you never overwrite the actual
partition). This may be a quicker way to test.

Regards,

Richard