[ltp] thinkpad-acpi release for 2.6.24-rc2

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:44:17 +0100

On sam, 2007-11-17 at 17:46 -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > If I watch and xev while typing Fn+Home/Down, I can see that the
> events
> > are reported twice (for example 212 Keypress, 212 Keyrelease, 212
> > Keypress, 212 Keyrelease). thinkpad-acpi.txt in Documentation/
> kernel
> > folder talks about hotkey_report_mode but it says that it's
> deprecated
> > in 2.6.23+ anyway, so I don't really know what should I do about
> that.
>
> See if there is any sort of thinkpad-keys or tbp NVRAM poller running,
> and
> if so, kill it.

thinkpad-keys nor tbp is running. nvram module is loaded but I don't
think it makes a difference. Hal is running.

> Does it fixes anything?
>
> thinkpad-acpi really should not make any sort of difference for
> brightness
> control on your thinkpad.  If it does, I may need to add an active
> filter to
> protect you from
> broken-as-designed-and-I-warned-them-but-they-don't-listen
> crap in HAL.

Well it doesn't impact on brightness control directly, but it reports an
event when using fn+home/fn+end wich I catch from my window manager to
run xbacklight.

> Do you get any thinkpad-acpi events at all when playing with Fn
> +Home/Fn+End
> (ACPI events and/or input events from the thinkpad-acpi input device)?
> Please use acpi_listen and lsinput/input-events to check.

using acpi_listen:
Fn+home -> ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001010
Fn+end -> ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001011

using input-events:
/dev/input/event0
   bustype : BUS_I8042
   vendor  : 0x1
   product : 0x1
   version : 43860
   name    : "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
   phys    : "isa0060/serio0/input0"
   bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_MSC EV_LED EV_RE

lsinput /dev/input/event0 reports nothing when using Fn+home/end

/dev/input/event4
   bustype : BUS_HOST
   vendor  : 0x17aa
   product : 0x5054
   version : 16641
   name    : "ThinkPad Extra Buttons"
   phys    : "thinkpad_acpi/input0"
   bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_MSC EV_SW

lsinput /dev/input/event4 reports nothing either

This is with video unloaded and thinkpad-acpi loaded.

HTH,
--
Yves-Alexis Perez