[ltp] Help Needed

skipper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Nov 2007 09:01:01 +0200

Hi Richard,

I suppose I expected that as my Linspire/Debian had identified my USB CD
Drive if I stuck the Linspire 5 install disk in it would just boot up
and I could either repair or reinstall. I have given up that idea.

The basic resources I have are Xircom RealPort2 10/100 NIC - which is
not picked up when I run redetect or diagnose which are the other two
options in my grub menu.lst to boot the Linspire O/S - the GUI no longer
loads.

Question: How do I get Debian whatever to find it it? Then I could do a
network install at this internet cafe! In fact I have an 8 port hub and
another laptop which I can plug in - it's just getting my system from
the root prompt to get (1) the NIC card identified and (2) how do I
browse the network to access the other laptop to do the install - I have
Midnight Commander and Mozilla.

Another Question. If I do a network install and choose to wipe
everything off, will I not loose the network connection? I know it's a
dumb question - but it makes me a little smarter!

I had thought to create a folder "install" and copy everything from
either the Linspire or UBUNTU install CD via my 1 gig stick and try to
get grub to boot from there. I'm reading the grub docs on this point.
This seems to be a simple solution though I've not got anywhere with
this approach at this time.

I have the 1 gig pen drive - which enables me to transfer files between
my A21E and any CD using another laptop to transfer between the two and
of course the USB CD. Though I have connect it a few times to get the
system to read the files on a CD.

I can either try a repair to get Linspire 5 up and running or do a new
install of UBUNTU. A repair would keep what I have in the way of
programmes and I know where I am with the Linspire 5 - going to UBUNTU
would be new - I'm open minded at this time!

Thanks for help so far - best help I've had in a month - trust me!

Regards,

David