[ltp] Help Needed

skipper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:04:08 +0200

Dear Richard,

Whilst waiting for a reply yesterday, I decided to copy the Linspire 5
CD Contents to a folder called install on the hard disk and then edit
the menu.lst for grub.

This did two things - (1) A white screen of death tillI changes bios
settings (2) a kernal panic - this was resolved much to my surprise by
the following.

As stated, plugging in the usb cd at boot time with a cd inserted - was
not picked up untill I plugged it in at the root prompt. But when I
selected the install or repair from my grub.lst and then pluged in the
usb cd with the linspire 5 install disk - it actually ran even though on
the grub commands pointed to the hard drive - though the install crashed
because it could not find the cd. But inserting during the install
procedure worked!

I now have Linspire 5 on the 10 gig drive. I may now install UBUNTU!
Linspire 5 finds and works with everything on the A21E perfectly! This I
hope will be one of the few e-mails from a Windows O/S.

Considering I had such difficulty installing via the usb cd - hmm I have
UBUNTU v7 on a bootable CD - it's just getting it started without
editing menu.lst or copying fles to the hard disk. I will go the UBUNTU
route.

I will post how I get on!

Regards,

David