[ltp] using fingerprint reader for encryption or ssh login?

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:17:06 -0500

> The two basic ideas behind encryption are that if there is a door
> there is a way (if they'll really want to decript you files/hack into
> you system and there are enough files they'll be able to do it with
> enough resources) and thus the implied part, don't spend more then the
> data is worth to protect it.
I do encryption as a matter of *principle*, since I may well go back to
China for travel or extended stay. I'd laugh my ass off at the digital
police there waste their supercomputer cycles cracking my encryption
only to find a bunch of downloaded videos...

> Is you data worth that much to protect to work with all the added
> inconvinience?
>
> Although I have to admit that AFAIK the enigma was only recently
> cracked (or partially cracked) so maybe some encriptions are strong
> enough (although intuition in computer science iplies that at least
> RSA isn't)
I use gpg, with  a 2048 bit DSA key pairs, an otherwise default use.
Also used is encfs, using aes algorithm, very large block size and key
size(256 and 256 bit?) How long do you think it'll take NSA to crack?
Maybe the cheapest way is to torture me instead of cracking it...
However, if they torture me too hard, I may forget the passphrase over
10 alphanumeric letters long!
Jiang