[ltp] Help Needed

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:27:59 +0000 (GMT)

> Chopped off the contents ..................... I screwed up my grub
> menu.lst file in /boot/grub - this is after getting Linspire up and
> running on a fresh install - BUT I killed it on going to CNR which after
> installing an update of the CNR programme killed my keyboard, mouse,
> nic. Oh well UBUNTU here I come!
>
> What I need to do is create a bootable linux floppy - that will read my
> hard disk - I then need to have a very small editor on it so I can edit
> my menu.lst file. I downloaded debian and created two floppies - ash and
> nano could not access (mount) hard disk. I have also got a grub boot
> floppy but there's nothing to edit menu.lst with ........................

Hi David,

The nice thing about grub (unlike lilo) is that you don't need to edit the
menu.lst file outside grub - you can use the grub command prompt directly.
The syntax is a bit weird, but it should work. Press "esc" before grub
tries to boot the default option. Then, you need to specify the correct
values for
   hd(X,Y)
   kernel=
   initrd=

Grub has the ability to search, and to cat. So, it's posible to find
a working kernel and initrd, even if you don't know what they are named
exactly, or on which disk/partition to look.

Best wishes,

Richard

P.S. If you can't mount the hard disk using the boot floppy method, what
command are you trying to use?  What is the filesystem type? (probably
ext3 or reiserfs).