[ltp] Wireless Notebook Optical Mice - any problems or recommandations

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:08:59 -0800

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:46:05 +0100 (CET)
James Pearson <pearson33j@wanadoo.fr> dijo:

> I was looking to buy a new mouse for my T60 ThinkPad and I realized that it is becoming harder and harder to find wired mini / notebook mice.
>   As a result I am looking into buying a wireless optical mouse - probably the Logitech V150 Laser Mouse for Notebooks or the V320 Cordless Optical Mouse (because it’s new model)

I have used Logitech V200 optical wireless mice with my old laptop and also with my new Thinkpad T61. They have a little USB receiver the size of a flash drive. They always work well, but you need to consider the location of the USB port, i.e., will the receiver get in the way of papers or books you need next to the computer?

You can't find the V200s in stores any more, but they are plentiful on eBay for about $20. I recently bought a V270 on eBay (about $27 with shipping) for my Thinkpad because I wanted to try bluetooth. It works perfectly with Gutsy x86_64, although it does not work until X finishes loading. But I don't need it until then anyway. I like the fact that there is no receiver anywhere - nothing sticking out getting in the way, and no extra parts to lose. When I first put the batteries in and turned it on it did not work. But after I went into Blueman and paired it up it has worked flawlessly with no futher fiddling required.

When I first got my T61 I bought an Emrec (not sure I have remembered the name accurately) for $20 from the local Fry's store. It is almost identical to the V200 USB mouse. However, after two weeks it died. Luckily Fry's took it back. That's when I decided to get the bluetooth V270.