[ltp] Wireless failing to connect

Phil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:53:42 +0000

After many months happily running Ubuntu Feisty my T60 has suddenly
started misbehaving.
Connecting to my home wireless network has become really painful, but
connecting to my office wifi is no problem. Before this started
happening I'd work, s2ram, go home, wake up and it would connect fine.
Then I'd sleep it again, go to work, wake up and again, no problem
connecting.
Now, when I go home, the nm-applet shows my home wifi and tries to
connect but fails after 30 secs or so. I can get it to connect by
rebooting - most times - although somethimes it takes more than 1 boot,
sometimes I have to disable and re-enable wifi.
No problem connecting to work.
Both networks are encrypted, but I also have an open wifi at home (which
also fails to connect).
I've no idea why it's suddenly gone bad after many months of OK
behaviour. I've installed all updates - but never noticed a wifi update.
$ uname -a
Linux phil-t60-linux 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 19:50:39 UTC
2007 i686 GNU/Linux
$lspci
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection (rev 02)

Nothing in the system log other than repeated "ipw3945: Detected
geography ABG (13 802.11bg channels, 23 802.11a channels)" messages.
When wifi works there's only one of these, but when it's not working it
repeats every few seconds.

Please tell me where to start diagnosing this problem,

Thanks
Phil