[ltp] AP21 with a Hitachi GD-S200

Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:59:07 +0000

Constant Brouerius van nidek wrote:
> Although it seems ;) that most problems with older Thinkpads have been solved
> I have a problem which I could not find an answer. Perhaps I have overlooked
> something.
>
> On my AP21 I have an Ultrabay  DVD-ROM Drive
> This is should be a DVD-ROM Drive but until to today I am not able to read
> whatever DVD. With CD's I have no problems whatshowever.
> A hardware search with siga gives it a name: Hitachi GD-S200.
> Any ideas why this socalled DVD rom does not recognize any DVD?

Is it a new drive? If so, you probably need to run regionset once. (You
get 5 times when you can change the region; many DVD drives are shipped
with the region not set, so nothing will play).
http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset/

Once you have set the region restriction, most free players (VLC,
mplayer etc) will happily ignore it.

Yes, this is daft.

Regards,

Richard