[ltp] AP21 with a Hitachi GD-S200

Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:32:27 -0500

> Is it a new drive? If so, you probably need to run regionset once.
> (You get 5 times when you can change the region; many DVD drives are
> shipped with the region not set, so nothing will play).
> http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset/
>
> Once you have set the region restriction, most free players (VLC, mplayer
> etc) will happily ignore it.
Unfortunately, this does not seem to be true. On my T43, I cannot play
DVDs from the other regions. For an region code locked DVD from
China(they do appear to have some copyright protection there!) my
mplayer(1.0-rc2, the latest) complains Invalid title IFO (VTS_01_0.IFO),
which is the typical symptom for not region set code. For other
non-region code locked DVD from China it plays just fine. Of course, I
set my region code to be the US ones in order to play the majority of
DVD I got here.

For older dvd rom you might be able to get region free firmware from
http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
But the newer DVD drive like mine doesn't have such luxury.
Jiang