[ltp] Greater than 2GB RAM on T42?

Jan Kundrát linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:34:54 +0100

--------------enigA31B5D0EBC55CDC249A1974C

Chris Schumann wrote:
> It's all over the ThinkPad forum (forum.thinkpads.com). As for Lenovo,
> it used to plainly state this on the ordering page, but of course now
> you can't buy a T60 or T60p.

I've seen it on thinkwiki, but again without proper reference. Isn't
forum.thnikpads.com mainly aimed at Windows users?

Looking at a sticky thread [1], it starts like a seriously-meant notice,
but again, first post was actually edited to include the T60 blurb and
no real reference given.

OTOH, user at [2] is running Gutsy (Ubuntu) and says that he sees only
3GB on a 64-bit system.

>                         "31 Maximum memory capacity may
> require the replacement of standard
> component with largest supported com-
> ponent available. On ThinkPad systems
> with an Intel 945GM, 945PM, GM965, or
> PM965 chipset, even though it is pos-
> sible to physically install 4GB of memory,
> the actual amount of memory address-
> able by an operating system will be lim-
> ited to 3GB. This limitation does not exist
> with the Intel GM965 and PM965 with
> the 64-bit operating systems Windows
> XP Professional 64-bit and Windows Vista
> 64-bit Editions."

I don't like phrases "HW limitation" and "This works under Vista 64"
together. I've just upgraded my T60 to 3GB (added a 2GB module), so I
probably won't have the pleasure to verify this myself... :)

[1] http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=3D49703
[2] http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=3D52763

--=20
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth