[ltp] Replacing LCD on T41p

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:44:33 -0600

Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:49:29 -0500
> "Jim Rockford" <jim.rockford1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have recently begun to experience some strange blinking patterns and
>> various red spots on my LCD, which I can only attribute to dying
>> pixels and other problems with the LCD.  I bought a replacement LCD
>> off Ebay and intend to replace it myself (otherwise, it's $800 through
>> the Thinkpad service center; they won't allow this replacement under
>> warranty).

First off, any "other problems" should be covered by warranty, including
strange blinking patterns. Send the machine in.

>> Before I embark on this mission, I was wondering if the procedure is
>> really as straightforward as it seems.  Are there any pitfalls I
>> should be particularly wary of in replacing the LCD?  I'd appreciate
>> hearing about any of your experiences with this.

Keep the screws organized. Keep the HMM handy (printed or on another
machine nearby). The LCD panel is fragile until installed.

> You should probably make sure that the resolution matches, integrated graphic
> cards can't handle the higher resolution of the more expensive lcds
Yes they can. TAWBOOK shows at least three configurations with SXGA+
screens and 32MB Radeon 7000 cards.

Chris