[ltp] AP21 with a Hitachi GD-S200

Constant Brouerius van nidek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:31:04 +0700

On Saturday 24 November 2007 09:32:27 jqian@physics.harvard.edu wrote:
> > Is it a new drive? If so, you probably need to run regionset once.
> > (You get 5 times when you can change the region; many DVD drives are
> > shipped with the region not set, so nothing will play).
> > http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset/
> >
> > Once you have set the region restriction, most free players (VLC, mplayer
> > etc) will happily ignore it.
>
> Unfortunately, this does not seem to be true. On my T43, I cannot play
> DVDs from the other regions. For an region code locked DVD from
> China(they do appear to have some copyright protection there!) my
> mplayer(1.0-rc2, the latest) complains Invalid title IFO (VTS_01_0.IFO),
> which is the typical symptom for not region set code. For other
> non-region code locked DVD from China it plays just fine. Of course, I
> set my region code to be the US ones in order to play the majority of
> DVD I got here.
>
> For older dvd rom you might be able to get region free firmware from
> http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
> But the newer DVD drive like mine doesn't have such luxury.
> Jiang
>
> > Yes, this is daft.

This is the original DVD drive and so somewhat older. Will have a look at
http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php and see what I find there.
Read a lot in the meantime and learned that in some cases if no region is set
the cd/dvd rom does not read anything. Up to now I have only problems with
any DVD. Installed Suse 10.3 with a CD because the easier dvd was not
recognised at all.