[ltp] Re: T61 with X3100 Video Card Problems Ubuntu

David Bremner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:15:51 +0100

Leonardo wrote:
> - I tried to install the have xserver-xorg-video-intel  2:2.2.0-1 from
> Debian unstable but I couldn't pass the public key.

I don't know about Ubuntu (are you using synaptic, or the command
line?), but if you run

# apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

it should complain about the lack of key, but install it if you
insist.  Or you could install first (I think) debian-archive-keyring.
Or you could download the .deb file and install it with dpkg -i.  The
last option will not take care of dependencies for you.

>However, Screens and Graphics still gives me "vesa generic/ intel -
>experimental modesetting..." and no option for extended screen. I do
>have 1200 X 800 resolution. Any suggestion?

Here I can't help much. I don't have a wide screen, and I don't use
the GUI front end to xrandr.  From the command line (as a normal
user), try

% xrandr --query

This will give a list of available modes.  In debian, xrandr lives in
the package x11-xserver-utils. Maybe a stupid question, but did you
restart the X server after reconfiguring?  This takes more than
logging out, you need to e.g. use CTRL-ALT-Backspace