[ltp] R61 touchpad not recognized in Ubuntu

Ugo Riboni linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:44:07 +0100

> Another issue is the alps driver preventing the trackpoint driver to handle
> the trackpoint when the touchpad is enabled in bios (and also preventing
> wheel emulation, thus turning the trackpoint into a useless device). By the
> way Ugo, you really should try the trackpoint with the trackpoint driver (ie
> no touchpad enabled), I find it very easy to use and more intuitive than
> when it's driven by the generic ps/2 driver.

I don't really like using the trackpoint device. Even when i use it in
windows with the presumably full-featured driver that it's installed
there, I can never get myself to like using it.
And believe me, i'd really tried because i recognize it as a good
invention, but it just doesn't seem to fit the way i work. I much
prefer to use the touchpad for my movement, it comes much more natural
to me.
Just a matter of taste, I guess.

> Anyway, the alps.readme in the synaptics driver files will give you a
> complete example configuration for your touchpad in xorg.conf.

Thanks. I have reconfigured xorg using these options and the touchpad
is even better now.
Can you email me in private (or share them here) your synaptic options in xorg ?
I want to check mine with these of another R61, so i can see if mine
can still be improved.

Thanks,
--
Ugo