[ltp] Re: T61 fails SMBIOS and USB Port tests

Owen Heisler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:26:29 -0600

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

On Tue, 2007.11.27 21:04, Owen Heisler wrote:
> I have a new T61 8897-CTO with Intel video that fails two hardware tests =
done=20
> by the Rescue & Recovery disc included with the laptop.  I was prompted t=
o run=20
> the tests by some problems I've had that I thought might be hardware rela=
ted.
>=20
> First, the tests that failed:
> System Board: USB Port Test - Abnormal Exit
> SMBIOS: Standards Test - Failed
>=20
> Second, the problems I've noticed:
> 1. Sometimes, when I type in the console, about 40% of the keystrokes are=
=20
> ignored.  If I type (for example) "startx" and hit enter, I'll see "sart"=
 or=20
> somesuch and the command fails.  In that same case, typing "sttartxx" and=
 enter=20
> probably would have worked, with "startx" being run.  The enter key is al=
so=20
> affected, so maybe I'd have had to hit it twice.  This is frustrating,=20
> obviously.  This
>  - does not seem to be related to system temperature,
>  - does not happen in X,
>  - only happens sometimes (maybe 20%), though it seems to remain until a =
reboot,
>  - and hasn't affected logging in (username & password), that I remember.

dbus takes the blame for this.  After a boot, three dbus processes are runn=
ing:=20
two dbus-daemon and one dbus-launch.  If I kill the dbus-launch process, th=
e=20
problem and one of the dbus-daemon processes disappear.

> I'm using the latest BIOS (1.26).  I haven't tried the tests on previous=
=20
> versions I think, but I have noticed problems 1, 2, and 4 with older BIOS=
es.
>=20
> I'm running Debian Lenny/Sid amd64 with kernel 2.6.22.10.
>=20
> I found this (but it isn't helpful I guess):
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=3D141168
>=20
> So, is there a hardware problem?  According to Wikipedia, the SMBIOS is j=
ust=20
> about PC-specific information.  That sounds like something an upgraded BI=
OS=20
> would fix later...?  And what about the USB Port test failure?
>=20
> Also, can you recommend better hardware diagnostics software?  Free and=
=20
> preferably as either a CD/DVD image or Debian package, please.

Again:
> Thanks for reading all this and for any thoughts you have.

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc--