[ltp] X61s: hd not spinning down properly (debian sid)

Philippe Preux linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:24:08 +0200

Hi all!

my X61s is running a debian sid, kernel 2.6.22-2-686.
When I halt it, just before swithing off, the very latest message
(before power off or something like that) is something like (in
upepercase letters):
    HARD DISK SPUN DOWN NOT PROPERLY... SHUTDOWN
    please wisit linux-ata.org
The message is only approximative (andincomplete: see the ...) because
it's hard to read it and remember it before the screen switches off.
Furthermore, the message is not logged into the /var/log/files (-(
Finally, this message is not displayed at each shutdown, but only
sometimes...
I browsed the web a bit and found some info like this one:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=94805&highlight=&sid=fe6a13a897e3b6d7c1f1c8b4fa707c33#94805

So well, can anybody tell me:
  - if he/she has had this problem on an X61s?
  - do you know of any fix?
  - is it a problem or not?
  - is the fix indicated in the previous url ok or not?

Thanks a lot

Philippe