[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] thinkpad-acpi release 0.17-20071002 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:43:49 -0300

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007, Chris Hanson wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > * Support for 16-level brightness for Lenovo thinkpads
> >   (X61, T61 *needs* this.  X60 likely does so, as well.  T60 appears not to,
> >    but I welcome tests, it should auto-detect).
>
> This support works fine on my T60.  But I noticed a small problem: I tried

Thanks for testing, and for the report!

>   echo 15 > /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/brightness
>
> which generated EINVAL, as expected.  But afterwards all values
> generated EINVAL, even reasonable ones such as 0 through 7.  EINVAL was
> also generated when trying to set the value through procfs, either by
> up/down or level N.  Prior to trying 15, the 0-7 values didn't signal
> EINVAL errors.

Can't reproduce this on 2.6.22 and a T43.  Given that the driver returns
EINVAL well before it even tries to poke the hardware, it should not make a
difference which thinkpad we try it on.  So, that leaves us with
thinkpad-acpi bugs, or a backlight class bug.  Which kernel version?

Also, just to be sure, cat
/sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/max_brightness returns 7 in your T60,
correct?

> The kern.log is filled with messages like
>
>   Oct  3 00:21:50 ravna kernel: set_level status: 0
>
> which originate in "drivers/acpi/video.c".  My interpretation is that
> some variable in ACPI got set to a bad value and is now stuck there.

Should be impossible to happen as long as max_brightness is not 15 (not only
because of the backlight class, but also because it means thinkpad-acpi is
supposed to refuse to write such stuff to the hardware).  But a backlight
variable being stuck is not at all difficult to imagine.  Let's try to track
it down...

  Henrique Holschuh