[ltp] fan always on?

Carles Pina i Estany linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:18:26 +0200

Hello,

I think that some time ago (months) my fan was more "off" than "on", but
last time it looks more "on" than "off".

I use Debian Stable with custom kernel. I can see:
carles@pinux:~$ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal
temperatures:   68 44 44 82 39 128 36 128

And also:
carles@pinux:~$ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status:         enabled
speed:          3290
level:          auto
carles@pinux:~$

Using powertop I can see that there is about 200 wakeups per second,
load average is 0.04 aprox. and I'm using xorg with fglrx (not last
version, I have seen now).

I guess that 68ºC for CPU is quite high temperature and here is the
problem, correct? I think that should be under 55ºC to stop the fan?
I have Pentium M as processor, and  "'ondemand' cpufreq policy governor"
inside Kernel.

Where would you start to check? Using powertop and trying less wakeups?
some kernel option?

Right now I'm interested on fan (I think that before was more stopped
than now). I'm not interested right now on power saving (yes, I know
that is related).

Thanks you very much,

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona