[ltp] thinkpad-acpi release 0.17-20071002 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:53:53 -0300

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007, Tino Keitel wrote:
> >   I have received so far *NO* reports from Thinkpads that really benefit
> >   from NVRAM polling, such as the T23 and T30 and earlier.
>
> I didn't know that my T23 is affected, I only read about changes for
> newer models. I'll try this version now. What exactly do you want the
> testers to do? So far I only used fan speed and temperature sensors in
> gkrellm with the version from Linux 2.6.22.

It should be easy, as long as you already use your T23 in ACPI mode.  If you
don't, thinkpad-acpi can't do much for you (it won't even load).

First, patch the kernel, make sure to enable NVRAM polling when you
configure the kernel (make oldconfig will ask you about it, for example).
Then boot, and make sure everything is still working as well as it used to.

Then, please stop tpb and thinkpad-keys so that they don't interfere with
the test.

Please send to me the output of:

for i in /sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_* ; do echo $i ; cat $i ; echo ; done

(all in one line).

Now, run lsinput to find out what is the thinkpad-acpi input device.  You
want the one named "ThinkPad Extra Buttons".  Note the "/dev/input/event#"
line, that's the number you will have to give to the input-events command
below.

Run acpi_listen in one terminal window, and "input-events 5" (if the
thinkpad-acpi input device was in event5, for example).

Type the hot keys: Access IBM/thinkpad, fn+space (zoom), the brightness and
volume buttons, the thinklight button.  All should generate acpi events, and
some should generate input events (thinkpad-acpi doesn't generate input
events for the volume, brightness and thinklight by default, but you could
reprogram it to do so if you wanted, using input-kbd).  Does it work?

If that happened, then there you go: as soon as userspace knows it can use
thinkpad-acpi for it, you won't need tpb or thinkpad-keys anymore.

There is more information in the thinkpad-acpi documentation
(Documentation/thinkpad-acpi.txt) in the kernel tree.  I keep it fully
up-to-date with every patch that adds/removes/changes something.

  Henrique Holschuh