[ibm-acpi-devel] [ltp] Re: thinkpad-acpi release 0.17-20071002 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

Chris Hanson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:44:52 -0400

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007, Chris Hanson wrote:
>> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>>> Better use this one instead...
>> The patch made no difference; it still gets stuck generating EINVAL.
>
> :-(
>
>> I forgot to mention that, although the /proc and /sys entries are unable
>> to change the brightness, the hotkeys work fine, and the correct
>> brightness level is shown by actual_brightness and brightness.
>
> So the driver is always reading the correct brightness from hardware, but it
> is still going bonkers when trying to set the brightness. Hmm.  Weird that I
> cannot reproduce this, no matter how much I try.  Is there a possibility of
> doing a quick try with just 2.6.22.9 + thinkpad-acpi without the other
> patches, just to make sure it is not interacting in surprising ways with
> something else?

I built it with exactly those things and nothing else.  The problem
still occurs.  Let me play a little and see what else I can find out.

> Also, what if you remove the video driver temporarily, does it work?  Also,
> using the keys, do you have 8 or 16 brightness levels?

By "removing the video driver" I assume you mean "modprobe -r video"?
If so, that makes no difference.

With the keys, I have 8 levels, as expected.