[ibm-acpi-devel] [ltp] thinkpad-acpi release 0.17-20071002 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

Jan Gutter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:48:49 +0200

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 09:56 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007, Jan Gutter wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 21:13 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Argh indeed, probably it is screwing up when looking for an
> ACPI_TYPE_PACKAGE.  Please change "BCLL" to "_BCL", and ACPI_TYPE_PACKAGE to
> ACPI_TYPE_METHOD.  Does that make the driver work?

Well, now it detects 16 levels, but the following happens (I assume it's
similar to the EINVAL issue):

sparky linux # echo 15 > /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness
bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

> I don't want to really use ACPI_TYPE_METHOD and _BCL, that's something
> Lenovo might decide to add to the T60 and other Lenovo thinkpads with 8
> levels for some reason, to support Vista.  If I have to use _BCL, I will
> need to actually call it, and parse its results... which is more code to
> write, test, and (if it doesn't work at first), waste a lot of time into
> debugging.

Yah, I hear you. Otherwise there'll be a metric ton of hard-coded quirks... :-(

> I will see if I can find a way to test with ACPI_TYPE_PACKAGE looking for
> some crap in the T43 DSDT :(  I tested with ACPI_TYPE_METHOD.

-- Jan