[ltp] ThinkPad T60 with Ubuntu 7.10 - sleep and hibernate not working

Thu, 4 Oct 2007 17:37:00 +0300

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 11:32:11AM +0200, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007, Jarl Aanonsen wrote:
> > I have recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 2007FUG,
> > and have installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it. (I have installed the
> > properietary driver for ATI Mobility Radeon X1400.)

I'm quite happy I chose my T61 with a video card (Intel GMA965) that has
open source drivers.

(Not that my installation was painless.  Far from it...)

> > Most things seems to work properly.
> >=20
> > But sleep [Fn+F4] as in suspend to RAM and hibernate [Fn+F12]
> > as in suspend to disk don't work.
> >=20
> > The screen goes blank, the suspend light (a half moon) turns on and
> > off continuously, and the fan is on. And the system stays locked in this
> > mode.

Okay, so it hangs somewhere between
/etc/acpi/suspend.d/10-thinkpad-standby-led.sh and /etc/acpi/sleep.sh.

> > I have tried some of the suggestion I have found on ThinkWiki
> > (www.thinkwiki.org), without result. (I have tried to the following
> > during suspend:
> > - disable powernowd,
> > - unload the IPW3945 module and
> > - disable video card warm boot.)

How exactly did you disable video card warm boot?

There are a few options in /etc/default/acpi-support.  SAVE_VBE_STATE is
probably the one you ought to try to disable.

> > But I don't find a more general strategy for solving these problems.

http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-index.html
is a quite good page, but it is primarily tailored for Fedora/Mandriva,
and you have to know how to translate the various suggestions into
Ubuntu-speak...

> > It is also hard to find information on how these mechanism work in
> > Linux and Ubuntu.

That's true.  You have to start at /etc/acpi/sleep.sh and read all those
shell scripts.

> > Does anyone have any specific suggestions I can try? Or some more
> > genereal advices?

Try disabling all VBE and DPMS options in /etc/default/acpi-support.

Try with the open-source radeon driver instead of the proprietary one.

Try adding acpi_sleep=3Ds3_bios to the kernel's command line.

> > Where can I find information relevant for solving these problems?

This list, thinkwiki.org, Ubuntu's bug tracker.

Actually, if Ubuntu 7.10 doesn't support suspend out-of-the-box on your
laptop, you should report it as a bug at
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bugs
They might fix it before the final release.

> > Any help is much appreciated?
>=20
> the script which is used for suspend/hibernate is called "hibernate", and
> there are to sub-scripts, "hibernate-ram" and "hibernate-disk", both run =
some
> magic scripts.

Not in Ubuntu.  Hibernate is available from Universe, but by default
Ubuntu uses acpi-support for suspend/hibernation.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Apologies for taking up the bandwidth with the apology.  Anything else I
can apologise for ...... er no can't think of anything, sorry about that.
                Andy Hunt (Member of British Olympic Apology Squad)

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H--