[ltp] Confirmed: Default nv driver with openSUSE 10.3 just doesn't work on the T61p

Benjamin Thompson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:32:39 -0500

------=_Part_13870_17013526.1192105959792

Hi Jay.

I installed the driver packages through YaST, with the same successful
result. All is well now, except Compiz doesn't want to run for some reason.
It claims my video card is not in its list of supported hardware, although I
know the drivers are working fine.

I think my real problem is that I'm running in 64-bit. There are just too
many unsupported things. Java and Flash don't work in Firefox, two things I
very much need. I run my podcast using a Java app and I use YouTube a lot.

I'm considering stepping back down to 32-bit and just settling for half my
CPU performance, but I want to edit video later and I'd rather keep 64-bit
mode.

Does anyone know an easy way to get the 32-bit plugins working under Firefox
in a 64-bit environment? I'd really like to avoid doing a reinstall.

-Ben

On 10/10/07, Jay C Vollmer <jvollmer@visi.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Benjamin Thompson wrote:
> > I'm brand new to this list; hello everyone!
> >
> > I tried installing twice. The default nv driver that comes with openSUSE
> > 10.3 only gets you a blank screen if you're using a T61p with a Quadro
> FX
> > 570M video card.
> >
> > Even attempting to run sax2 or the Display module of YaST in text mode
> > locks up X and you'll be lucky if you can get back to a command prompt.
> >
> > I had to go into xorg.conf and manually switch the driver from "nv" to
> > "vesa" and now I at least have a desktop. The strange thing is that
> > neither the wallpaper or icons are showing up in the desktop area. I
> have
> > the toolbar and all the widgets in it, and Firefox works fine, so I'm
> not
> > sure what the issue is in that.
> >
> > When I get home from work tonight I'll install the driver from nvidia.
> > I'll let you know how it goes.
> >
> > -Ben
>
> Hi Ben.
>
> After following some of the commets on this list and on hte opensuse list
> decided to download the latest NVIDIA .run file and have it ready
> following
> an install of the latest openSUSE (10.3)  Having encountered the identical
> situation to yours following a fresh install, I simply ran the .run file
> while in runlevel 3 and was greeted by all the cool new openSUSE stuff
> following a reboot.
>
> --
> JAY VOLLMER        JVOLLMER@VISI.COM
> --

Top of Center - http://www.topofcenter.com
Libertarian news and views podcast brought to you Mondays at 8pm EST by
TalkShoe.com. Freedom issues that affect your life and what you can do about
them.

Get a TalkShoe.com account and listen in LIVE!

------=_Part_13870_17013526.1192105959792

Hi Jay.<br><br>I installed the driver packages through YaST, with the same successful result. All is well now, except Compiz doesn&#39;t want to run for some reason. It claims my video card is not in its list of supported hardware, although I know the drivers are working fine.
</b> &lt;<a href="mailto:jvollmer@visi.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">jvollmer@visi.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">