[ltp] Is 21W good or too much for a dual core duo thinkpad?

Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:07:58 +0300

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 12:11:06AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> So now, I have to ask: is 21W expected for a T7200 CPU (dual core duo 2Gh=
z)
> throttled down to 1Ghz 95%+ of the time (according to powertop)?

My T61 has a two-core T7100 (core 2 duo 1.8 GHz).  Normal daily use
requires about 18W (2.5 hours of battery).  I got it down to a bit over
10W by following all powertop's suggestions, killing powernowd (and setting
the cpu governor to ondemand), setting backlight to 10% with xbacklight,
unplugging all USB devices (including built-in bluetooth) and replacing
compiz with metacity.  Killing wifi didn't appear to have any effect to
power usage.  Setting LCD backlight to 50% upped the power usage to
13.6W but made the laptop usable.

My gut feeling for your 21W is "blame ATI" (my laptop has Intel GM965
video).

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9

--PEIAKu/WMn1b1Hv9--