[ltp] Re: Is 21W good or too much for a dual core duo thinkpad?

Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:33:45 -0200

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> The one question I have, since I don't yet have a dual-core machine, is
> what difference it makes to disable one of the two CPU cores when you
> are not needing the CPU power?
>
> Rumor, in the form of comments from kernel developers in CPU hotplug
> threads, has it that this can deliver a notable power saving.

Test it first.  It can actually draw a lot more power, depending on whether
the kernel manages to get the second core down to C4 or not, and whether
turning that core off makes the remaining core stay more time out of C3 or
not.

  Henrique Holschuh