[ltp] knetworkmanager failing for non-root (SuSE 10.2, KDE) - SOLVED in 10.3

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:11:29 +0200

Dear all,

this is just to inform you my issue is solved by upgrading:

Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> [[...]]
>
> On my Thinkpad R51, I run SuSE 10.2 and use KDE.
>
> All is fine (for my needs), including networking via cable.
>
> What does *not* work for me is "knetworkmanager":
> In the task bar, it displays a plug outside the socket, and this is
> accompanied by a tiny white "x" in a red field.
> When I click its icon, the popup contains the German equivalent of "no
> network device found".
>
> [[...]]
>
> It seems to be a permission issue: When I terminate "knetworkmanager"
> and restart it manually, I get a message
>       Error requesting name, org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied:
>       Connection ":1.34" is not allowed to own the service
>       "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies
>       in the configuration file
> However, the configuration file looks ok to me.
>
> [[...]]

On the proposal of a colleague who has a good knowledge of SuSE
specifics, I had done a re-install of 10.2 (assuming I had de-selected
some essential package that was by accident not listed as a requisite),
but that did not help.

Now I got a copy of SuSE 10.3 (for German readers: came with the current
issue of the c't magazine) and installed that, and it works !

I have not yet checked all other things, whether there is some drawback
in another area I need, but at least the "knetworkmanager" issue is
solved for me.

Regards,
Joerg

--
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de