[ltp] thinkfinger and libpam 0.99

Thu, 18 Oct 2007 01:05:11 +0300

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 03:57:47PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 11:01:53AM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > I've upgraded libpam to 0.99.7.1-4ubuntu3 (Ubuntu Gutsy) and just today
> > noticed that thinkfinger doesn't work any more.  I thought it might be a
> > library version mismatch, so I've recompiled and reinstalled
> > thinkfinger, but still the password prompts don't mention nor accept
> > finger swiping.
> >=20
> > If I had an invalid module mentioned in /etc/pam.d/common-auth, I'd
> > expect error messages in /var/log/*, but there's nothing.
>=20
> And suddenly, for no apparent reason at all, it works again.  Huh.

And then it stopped working, and I just gave up.

Today I stumbled upon the thinkfinger page on thinkwiki [1] again and
saw this:

  You should see the "Password or swipe finger:" prompt when trying to
  sudo or su. If you don't, you probably do not have the "User level
  driver support" compiled into your kernel or the "uinput" module
  loaded!

Sure, uinput wasn't loaded.  I added it to /etc/modules and all's well
again.  (Then I also used the instructions on the page to make
gnome-screensaver accept my fingerprint.)

[1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_enable_the_fingerprint_reader_with=
_ThinkFinger

Marius Gedminas
--=20