[ltp] ATI, fglrx, suspend

fire-eyes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:15:34 +0000

Chris Schumann wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm having a heck of a time getting 3D to work with suspend and resume. I
> happen to have a T60 with an ATI X1400 128MB chip, and run Fedora 7.
>
> I've been using the vesa driver just so suspend and resume work, but I
> would like to take advantage of the 3D capabilities from time to time.
> (Neverputt is a good time killer.) Suspend and resume are much more useful
> though.
>
> The ThinkWiki isn't really of much help, or I don't know where to look.
>
> Ideas, tips and URL's greatly appreciated, and I'll include any fixes on
> the F8 on T60 page on ThinkWiki.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

I feel your pain. I'm on a T43 with an X300. I have owned it about a
year and a half. I have never once in in this entire time, with any
version of ati's drivers, been able to suspend and resume without a
total system hang.

This also happens to me 100% of the time if I exit xorg in anyway (log
out, ctl-alt-backspace, etc). Very frustrating.

I wish you luck but I've been forced to use the open source radeon
driver for a long time, and give up any hope of 3d (getting it to work
on that driver is a real pain, and i'm not interested anymore).

Stuff like this is why I won't be ever buying a laptop with ati in it
again (releasing specs doesn't help me -- card is too old). Not
interested in giving them more money after all this.

Good luck....