[ltp] thinkfinger and libpam 0.99

George Avrunin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:00:08 -0400

--Sig_/HVEytDLaNeADKc2dOidsVD5

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:38:52 +0300, Marius Gedminas <mgedmin@b4net.lt>
wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:46:58PM -0400, George Avrunin wrote:
> > Before giving the instructions for giving access to the fingerprint
> > reader and the bir-file to get the screensaver to accept the
> > fingerprint, the page says "In Fedora 7 the package has been
> > modified in such a way as to make doing this unnecessary."  But
> > that's not working for me (Fedora 7 x86_64 on an X60, with
> > thinkfinger-0.3-5.fc7 and gnome-screensaver 2.18.2-2.fc7, which seem
> > to be the latest versions available).  I do get the "Password or
> > swipe finger" prompt when logging in, doing su, etc.
> >
> > Is the note on the thinkwiki page wrong, or is there something else
> > I need to do to take advantage of the Fedora modifications?
>=20
> I don't have Fedora myself.  I'd check first if your user account is
> part of the 'fingerprint' group, then whether you can access your .bir
> file, then whether the /dev/input/thinkfinger* and /dev/input/uinput
> devices are accessible to the fingerprint group.
>
> Marius Gedminas

Yes, if I add the group and change ownership and permissions, the
screensavers use the fingerprint reader.  But I interpreted the note on
the thinkwiki page as saying that for Fedora 7 it wasn't necessary to
add the group or make the changes in permissions.  So I was asking
whether the note was known to be wrong or there were other changes in my
configuration (installing a different version of some package, for
instance) that I needed to make.  It's not a big problem, I just
wondered why it didn't seem to work the way the note about Fedora 7
seemed to suggest.

  George