[ltp] Do I actually have a 1920x1200 screen or not?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Oct 2007 00:28:47 +1000

G'day.  I am currently trying to work out for certain if I have a
1920x1200 screen in my laptop or not -- in all seriousness.

I have a Thinkpad T61p, 6460-74M, which /should/ have a 1920x1200
display in it.  At least, I expected it to when I paid for it.

It has an nVidia Quadro FX 570M card in, and since the default 'nv'
driver gives only a black screen I am using the binary driver 100.14.19

X is working reasonably nicely, but will not do anything larger that
1680x1050 -- and the nVidia settings widget claims that in the native
panel resolution.[1]

Running 'hwinfo --framebuffer' gives me a list of modes that includes
1920x1200 from the console, though, as does the specs on the Lenovo
support site when I tapped in my machine type and model numbers.

lspci also claims 256MB of memory is attached to the video card; as far
as I know only the 1920 models had 256MB of video ram...

Finally, running at 1680x1050 doesn't have any obvious signs of
distortion or blurring from the image being rescaled to the panel
resolution.

So, is there any specific way I can verify the native resolution?

(Sadly I got rid of both Windows and the recovery partition before I
 found that I had this issue, so that isn't an easy option to verify the
 hardware.)

Regards,
        Daniel

Dammit.  I should have booted Windows once just to be sure.

Footnotes:
[1]  It also claims I have 512MB of video RAM, twice what Lenovo list,
     so I take both of these claims with a grain of salt.

--
Daniel Pittman <daniel@cybersource.com.au>           Phone: 03 9621 2377
Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne             Web: http://www.cyber.com.au