[ltp] Backup/Recovery for laptop

Rhett Creighton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:27:23 -0500

I found a really good backup/recovery solution, that I wanted to share
with you guys.  It is especially useful right before I try to tweak my
machine, and I know I might screw a lot of things up.

The software is Acronis True Image 11.  Unfortunately it is not free
software.  I tried free alternatives first, and honestly, I could not
not find anything nearly as good.  This software claims to be for
windows, but it can make a boot disk (from a windows machine).  The
boot disk is able to recognize windows and ext2/ext3/reiserfs linux
partitions.

It does everything in a very user-friendly and efficient way.  Unlike
dd, you can just back up the space that you're using, and it also
compresses that for you.  You can later do differential or incremental
backups.

Anyway, I don't want to keep sounding like a commercial for this
software, but I was able to back up my entire machine in under 20
minutes to an external USB drive.  differential backups after that
took less than 5 minutes.  I was able to restore my machine in about 5
minutes.

I bought the software via ebay for $20, and it was delivered with a
digital download.

Anyway, this software has given me a lot more confidence to screw
around with my kernel without much risk.

Rhett