[ltp] HPET timer on thinkpads?

Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:12:22 +0200

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:24:43 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Tue 23 Oct 2007, Jan Kundrát wrote:
>
> > > Sorry, but how do you do this on a sleeping machine?
> >
> > A script was posted earlier in this thread. Basically you read
> > remaining battery capacity before and after the suspend (which
> > should take at least several hours and the laptop must not be
> > connected to the AC adaptor). There's a module for that in
> > hibernate-script, see thinkwiki.org.
>
> I saw that. But I assumed (evidently wrongly) from posted readings
> that there was some way of getting instant measurement.
>
> > > As for an idle machine, what exactly do you mean by "idle"?
> > > Doesn't the "grep" stop it being idle?
> >
> > Technically speaking, it does, but for purposes of this
> > measurement, it is idle enough.
>
> I'm still not really clear what is meant by "idle".

You sit in front of the running computer with no CPU or I/O eating
application running, the LCD set to the lowest brightness, and do
nothing but looking at the powertop power consumption output. This way,
the CPU is always clocked down and the hard disk is also in standby
mode (spin down), so that the computer is running but comsuming as
little power as possible.

> Is it just a vague term meaning "not much going on"? I see with "ps
> aux | wc" that there are 156 processes listed on my machine, almost
> all (but not quite all) sleeping. Is that "idle"?

Yes.

Regards,
Tino