[ltp] HPET timer on thinkpads?

Dan Sawyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:13:54 -0700

--------------050503060608040600010803

Leon,

Does the low power suspend work on your configuration? If so can you
your .config script.

Thanks - Dan

Leon Brokken wrote:
> Hi Shem,
>
> Shem Multinymous wrote:
>
>> Hi Leon,
>>
>> On 10/23/07, Leon Brokken <leon.brokken@med.lu.se> wrote:
>>

>>> Could that explain the hangs every now and then, when my T41 doesn't
>>> accept any input any longer? Processes keep running but there is no info
>>> from fan, batt or temp available (judged from conky system monitor).
>>> Even the power button doesn't work anymore, I need to power off by
>>> unplugging AC and removing the battery.
>>>

>> Judging by the symptoms, what you're seeing is a hang of the embedded
>> controller (which is running its own firmware independently of the CPU
>> and handles all the things you mentioned). This is very dangerous,
>> since the EC is also in charge of fan control, battery charging
>> control and emergency thermal shutdown.
>>
>> It's important to find out what causes the EC hangs. How often do you
>> see them? Are they correlated with some activity or configuration?
>> Does unloading some modules (in particular acpi, hdaps, tp_smapi)
>> prevent them? Are you using an old version of tp_smapi?
>>

> In the meantime I found out that tp_smapi (v0.32) was not loaded. I have
> now added it to rc.modules so it gets loaded at boot and haven't noticed
> a problem yet. Before it happpened maybe once every few days, without
> any obvious pattern. I have a T41, Slackware-current, kernel 2.6.23.1. I
> never noticed similar issues with 2.6.22.
>
> Anyway, here's some output from dmesg:
>
> leon@shpritsz:~$ dmesg|grep -i thinkpad_ec
> thinkpad_ec: thinkpad_ec 0.32 loaded.
>
> leon@shpritsz:~$ dmesg|grep -i smapi
> tp_smapi 0.32 loading...
> tp_smapi successfully loaded (smapi_port=0xb2).
>
> leon@shpritsz:~$ dmesg|grep -i hdaps
> hdaps: initial mode latch is 0x01
> hdaps: setting ec_rate=250, filter_order=2
> hdaps: fake_data_mode set to 0
> hdaps: device successfully initialized.
> input: ThinkPad HDAPS joystick emulation as
> /devices/platform/hdaps/input/input9
> input: ThinkPad HDAPS accelerometer data as
> /devices/platform/hdaps/input/input10
> hdaps: driver successfully loaded.
> leon@shpritsz:~$
>
> leon@shpritsz:~$ dmesg|grep thinkpad_acpi
> thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.18-20071013
> thinkpad_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
> thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 1RETDRWW (3.23 ), EC 1RHT71WW-3.04
> thinkpad_acpi: IBM ThinkPad T41
> leon@shpritsz:~$
>
> I'll report back if it happens again.
>
> Thanks, Leon.

--------------050503060608040600010803

<head>
</head>
Leon,<br>
Does the low power suspend work on your configuration? If so can you
your .config script.<br>
Thanks - Dan <br>
Leon Brokken wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Hi Shem,

Shem Multinymous wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Hi Leon,

On 10/23/07, Leon Brokken <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:leon.brokken@med.lu.se">&lt;leon.brokken@med.lu.se&gt;</a> wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Could that explain the hangs every now and then, when my T41 doesn't
accept any input any longer? Processes keep running but there is no info
from fan, batt or temp available (judged from conky system monitor).
Even the power button doesn't work anymore, I need to power off by
unplugging AC and removing the battery.

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Judging by the symptoms, what you're seeing is a hang of the embedded

  <pre wrap=""><!---->In the meantime I found out that tp_smapi (v0.32) was not loaded. I have

thinkpad_acpi: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/">http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/</a>