[ltp] T61/intel: LCD brightness

Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:32:02 +0200

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 04:49:26PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 12:29:46PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > I've a Lenovo T61, running Ubuntu Gutsy.
> >=20
> > When I first bought it, I noticed that the LCD was much brighter than my
> > external LCD monitor.  Now, two months later, it looks dimmer than the
> > same external monitor.  What gives?
> >=20
> > xbacklight shows the brightness as 100%.  /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness sho=
ws
> > level 7 out of 7.  AC power is plugged in (if I pull the plug, the LCD
> > dims a little bit, but it's almost imperceptible).
> >=20
> > Are there any other brightness controls that might lower it, or did the
> > screen just become "tired" over those two months?
>=20
> If I reboot, I can increase the brightness with Fn-Home while in the
> GRUB menu.  These keys stop working at all once I boot into Gutsy.

That was because I had blacklisted the 'video' module for acting funny
while I was testing a Gutsy prerelease.  If I load it now, brightness
control works, but not all the way up.  The brightest level is still a
bit dimmer than what I get in GRUB before Linux takes over.

Could it be that my laptop has 15 levels instead of 7, and I need a
thinkpad-acpi upgrade?  (I currently have thinkpad-acpi version 0.14,
according to modinfo.)

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Include me out.