[ltp] Re: Rescue partition needed?

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:40:28 -0400

>> I have a brand new T61 and want to install Linux (Debian) on it. I do
>> not want to use Windows, too.
>>
>> So, is the rescue partition needed or is it enough to have the
>> Rescue-CD/DVD in case if I need to reinstall Windows?
>>
> Be aware that on the T41s at least, the rescue partition will install Windows
> in the first partition, leaving the other partitions alone.  The Rescue CDs
> will overwrite the WHOLE disk; requiring a re-installation of Linux and any
> other OS.  Check with other T61 owners for relevant experience.  Your Model
> May Vary (YMMV  ;)

BTW, the only time I bothered to do a "rescue disk" for Windows, I just
booted into my Debian partition and copied the Windows particion with
`dd'.  If your Windows partition has a lot of space left, you can
compact the partition with ntfsresize.

Then a "reinstall" involved booting some GNU/Linux rescue disk and then
dd the partition back from the backup support to the disk.  The only
constraint I noticed is that you can only restore the partition at the
same position on the drive (typically partition nb 1).

        Stefan