[ltp] Remapping Fn-Ctrl keys on Ubuntu Gutsy

Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:07:20 +0000

Marius Gedminas wrote:

 >> Also, note that you'll have to run this command every time you boot
 >> (eg .bashrc),

> No, .bashrc is entirely the wrong place for this.  .gnomerc (if you use
> GNOME) or .xsession (provided that you end the file with the appropriate
> exec statement to load your default desktop).

Thank you. I am an idiot for having originally written that! In KDE, use
a shell-script, placed in (or sourced from) ~/.kde/Autostart

>> and that xmodmap can really mess up your keyboard while
>> experimenting. I recommend you have a file open from which you can
>> copy-paste characters back into your terminal.
>
> 'setxkbmap' is a command that resets your keymap if you mess it up, so
> it's a good idea to have it available for mouse copying and pasting ;-)

nice to know.

> But anyway, before bug #12401 gets fixed I doubt you can map Fn to Ctrl.

A really ugly hack: could you use Fn to trigger a script with xbindkeys,
which calls xmacroplay, which fudges a fake keypress to the X-server on
:0, which.... ?

Regards,

Richard