[ltp] T43p with new radeon driver crashes.

Raanan Manor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:55:29 +0300

When i suspend with fglrx the computer just freezes. The best I could
get was that the screen blanks and the suspend led blinks for ever.

I have tried all the solutions I found on the net and I can tell you,
there are quite allot of them out there, including the thinkwiki pages.

Any way, as the radeon drivers are open source and I use the latest from
git I got this suggestion -

------- Comment #12 from agd5f@yahoo.com  2007-08-31 12:12 PST -------
does it help if you remove this block of code from radeon-driver.c:

if (info->IsMobility) {
    if (xf86ReturnOptValBool(info->Options, OPTION_DYNAMIC_CLOCKS,
FALSE)) {
        RADEONSetDynamicClock(pScrn, 1);
    } else {
        RADEONSetDynamicClock(pScrn, 0);
    }
}

rebuild and install the updated driver and then fully shut down the
laptop and
power it off before powering it back on again.

if that doesn't help, also try removing the following code from
radeon_driver.c:

if (IS_R300_VARIANT || IS_RV100_VARIANT)
    RADEONForceSomeClocks(pScrn);

and repeat.

Open source and the developers behind it are great aren't they ? :-)

I'll try it as I need the on-the fly switching between video outputs and
desktops which I get with those drivers.

About the *GPU temperature* I try to control it with the tp-fancontrol
script which controls the fan from the wiki pages. I did no know that
fglrx controled the GPU power states based also upon the GPU
temperature.

can't I control the GPU power states with acpi ?  If yes, I could change
the tp-fancontrol script to control those power states also based on the
GPU temp.

Raanan Manor